Monday, April 6, 2015

Blue Lights

I may as well get a post like this out of the way, because it is what is on my mind 24/7 right now.  I am sick and tired of blue lights, puzzle pieces, and people who don't know what's wrong with them.  I am a teacher, and most of my colleagues think Autism Speaks is great, puzzle pieces are great, and we should all be wearing blue.  As an Autistic woman, using blue to represent autism makes me feel erased, even if the color wasn't associated with Autism $peaks.  I wish the "awareness" would just stop.  I don't want a month. I want every day people to listen to Autistic people.  Support our needs.  Celebrate our successes with us.  Awareness in the form of understanding what our needs might look like is a good thing, but the fear and hate rhetoric has got to stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment